Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Secondhand Baby: The Bassinet 2.0

This is how we roll.
I posted before about stripping and stripping my old bassinet and painting it green.  I got it repainted and then hated it.  It was retro avocado in an repulsive way, not in a charming way.  The same thing happened when I painted the kitchen.  That was another one of many tedious projects.  I had also planned on pairing the bassinet with the "Fox in the Hen house" Monaluna fabric for bedding, but it clashed with the energy of avocado just as my psyche did.  I felt that a buttery yellow would be soothing for me and soon-to-be-baby-girl.

In the midst of changing paint colors, there was some drama and death in our literal hen house.  Girls have the propensity to turn Catty-Bitch on a dime, but these ladies have redefined my notion of mean girls.  Our lone white Easter Egger bore the brunt of an episode of violence...and went in search of Chicken Heaven.  Having buried her in the backyard, they then became the interest of lurking predators.  Another lady bird became some rodent's dinner the following week after she was dragged from within the coop.  It was hard times on the "Little Farm".  All that to say that I felt a little uncomfortable moving forward with the Fox in the Hen House print.


I can be a bit superstitious.

Rifling through my overflowing bin of fabric, I rediscovered a sweet vintage sheet covered in daisy bouquets that I picked up last summer at the Salvation Army.  It matched the new yellow paint perfectly, was crisp and girly without overkill, and was still simple.  I spent a Saturday schlepping through sewing bassinet bedding without a pattern and was only mildly disgusted with the end results.  I've intentionally hidden the pleat failure in this picture.  Eventually I'll get around to fixing it.  Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment