Sunday, June 17, 2012

Anna Maria Horner's "dad bag", or the sewing project that nearly broke my spirit

Even though soon-to-be-baby-girl's dad is overseas for a bit longer, she and I still thought to make sure he's included in this year's Father's Day celebrations (even if he isn't aware of it quite yet).  She and I powered through skipped stitches, a cruel initiation into sewing with PUL, hand rolling almost half of the top stitching on the liner through what felt like a steel plate of fusible interfacing, the cumbersome accommodation of attaching straps, etc.  But we prevailed without turning our backs on sewing ever again, although it was a close call.

The end product is a pretty manly messenger-style diaper bag, if I do say so myself, with some industrial elements to maintain reasonable levels of testosterone even while toting around the most pink-laden girl child.

In the zipper pouch hides a matching changing pad because coordinating accessories really make a man.  I made sure to throw in some hand sanitizer to soothe the nerves of my excessively germ conscious baby daddy.


Inside the main compartment are some elastic loops to stabilize bottles and wipes, a few Father's Day themed books, and the most masculine receiving blanket that soon-to-be-baby-girl has to date.


2 comments: